Friday, October 28, 2016

Small & Scrappy & Sentimental

What a wonderful surprise to get the new Martingale/That Patchwork Place catalog in the mail and see a quilt from my new book gracing the cover! Don't you love the way it's displayed? The catalog contains all the new quilting books coming out soon and I know some of you will be excited to peek inside and see them. 


Here's my rant about books and publishing first:  It's a sad fact that some of our celebrated quilt book publishing companies are no longer in business. Perhaps you've noticed. The reason publishers go out of business? Quilters are choosing not to buy books the way they used to. Nowadays, everyone expects to get everything for free on the Internet. But the quilting industry suffers when people do this. Expenses are high when it comes to publishing and printing a book and paying a staff to design and market it - publishers sometimes barely break even when a book is finally published. Quilt designers are in this business to try and make a living through their noble efforts to inspire us to be creative. 

So, take a look at the catalog. What is creative inspiration worth to you? To me, there is nothing quite like the feeling of buying a book by one of my favorite designers and holding it in my hands, flipping through the beautiful color pages again and again, dreaming sweet creative dreams. It's how I first became inspired to quilt and later dreamed of the notion of becoming an author myself. Here's my idea -  do your favorite authors/designers a favor and this coming year support their efforts by buying a few more quilting books. Don't just look at the pictures you see on the Internet and say Oh, I don't need a book or pattern for that - I can copy it myself. If you care at all, support the person who gave you the inspiration.

I'm not just talking about myself here, trying to push my new book so I can make a buck off you. If it weren't for ALL of our industry's talented quilt designers, where would we get our inspiration to even make the quilts we make? They do it for US. It sure as heck isn't for the money, ha ha. Craft book authors make notoriously little money on book royalties. Here's the dirty little publishing secret - authors make about a dollar plus a handful of change for every book you buy. They have to buy their own books from the publisher just like you if they wish to sell them to the public when they teach or lecture. Books cost money regardless of who's buying them. Authors don't miraculously own or receive all of the books they wrote for free when they're published. When you buy a book on Amazon - authors get about 40 cents for each book because Amazon books are heavily discounted by publishers. Yet, here's the deal - because we love quilting with a passion and because we also love to inspire you, we still do it. 

So, listen - next year, why not skip a couple of cups of Starbucks, make your kids wear hand-me-downs for a few months, save string, I don't care - eat Mac & Cheese for dinner, whatever. Make some room on your bookshelf by dropping off some of your old books at the local library. Then, treat yourself to some new inspiration - buy a quilting book (or maybe two or three) and support your passion. 



But enough ranting. I feel better. I have to tell you that this cover quilt is really special to me and I'm so glad it's in the book. Seeing it on the catalog cover surprised me and stirred up some sentimental memories. The pinwheels quilt was started a few years ago when my beloved Wheaten Terrier Rigby became ill and we found out he needed multiple surgeries. He might have cancer they said.

When this happened, my head started spinning and I became scared. So I began making some spinning pinwheels to deal with the pain. I planned to turn the blocks into a pillow for him. We soon found out that he was misdiagnosed - there was actually no cancer. We were lucky to have had Rigby, Mr. Rigby, Big Rig, stay healthy for another 2 1/2 years before he finally passed away. The pinwheels quilt I'd started was put aside because working on it reminded me of that painful time and it hurt too much. I waited awhile and finally pulled it out last year and finished it, deciding it was too lovely to leave unfinished. I knew it would be a nice tribute to a companion who always sat near me and my quilts while I sewed. 


 When he first came to us as a puppy, he was Small and Scrappy!



 If you're one of those people who loves family sagas involving dogs, make yourself a cup of coffee, sit down  and read more about our silly Rigby here. And here.  And don't forget here . . . . And oh, yes -  here too.





31 comments:

Gretchen Weaver said...

I don't mind buying a book if it actually contains NEW designs. But when designers take an old design and just give it a new name, that's not a new pattern and no way am I going to buy that book. There has to be something special to make it worth while buying. Just my opinion. Blessings, Gretchen villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Kathleen Tracy said...

Gretchen - I hear you. Books are expensive and we have to be choosy, I know. Designers and publishers often do this because there are actually so many new quilters out there who may never have seen the quilt the first time around. And if it's been more than a few years since the pattern came out it gives those other new quilters a chance to buy it in a different format. Some quilts by some designers are timeless and just have lasting inspiration.

linda said...

Unfortunately this happens all too frequently. I love books and am happy to buy them. I don't have an unlimited budget but believe designers and authors need to be recognized for their talent. The notion that everything should be free in this age of technology is wrong. Designers spend months designing, writing patterns, stitching long hours to meet deadlines!! It's not for money; it's following a creative passion. I believe that should be validated in my small way.

Diana said...

I love quilt books, I buy and read over and over. They are like friends. I love your dog and understand you pain in losing that baby. We recently lost a beloved dog. I miss her every single day. When you are ready, there are so many wonderful dogs just waiting to be your new friend, not to take the place, just to make it's own place in your big heart. Take care. Diana (I apologize, I obviously am new to posting and don't get line breaks)

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thank you, Linda. I try to do my part too. Buying new fabric every now and then helps support the industry and shops too. So many shops are closing because they simply can't make it with all the discounts and online competition. Where would we be if it were not for the fabric, books, patterns and shops that inspire us so much??

Kathleen Tracy said...

Thank you Diana - they don't call me the Sentimental Quilter for nothing! We still have our "baby" toy poodle who is now 8 years old but still healthy and going strong. A blessing indeed.

Robin McGuire said...

I completely understand, Kathy. I get inspiration from the Internet but also support my favorite designers by buying lots of books and patterns. Can't wait to get my hands on Small and Scrappy!

Kathleen Tracy said...

Won't be long now! We'll be making small and scrappy quilts all next year in the groups.

Ann in PA said...

Kathy, Your little quilt looks wonderful on the cover of Martingale's new catalog. What an honor! I agree with you on books and have a collection of real books. Nothing is more satisfying than curling up with a book in my hands. Yes, some patterns are repeated in books (you could say the same for colors); but I love how the use of fabrics and colors often change the pattern. I remember reading about your sweet furry friend. Your pin wheel quilt surely holds a lot of memories. We don't have a dog right now, but we do have four sweet granddogs! What would we do without tail wags and licks! LOL

Rosemary said...

I am a bookaholic! Whether it's a novel or a craft book of some kind, I can't resist! I have to hold a book in my hands. When I'm driving, it's a bit tricky so I do use Audible then. However, that said, can't do that with all my crafting books. I love your quilts and your books~ I will always support someone who creates ... whether it's fabric or patterns. I don't get upset if I see a duplicate because whether it's color or fabric, always looks a bit different. Online shopping is great and I do. However, I support my local shops always. Quilters are great with help, ideas, or just conversation. Breaks my heart when a local shop closes or just sells online. Quilting is my happy time!!

Henny Penny's Country Store said...

When my quilt shop was open I had a group of ladies come in and I overheard one say....."now don't buy anything until I check for it online".............Whew! Is it any wonder shops go out of business?
I believe a lot of people have that mindset nowadays.

Carolknits said...

I agree with all the posts. I, too, am a quilt book/knitting bookaholic!! I don't drink or smoke or go to fancy restaurants, so I figure that money saved can go to buying a book or a pattern. It is annoying, though, when someone asks you to print out a pattern from your book so they don't have to purchase it. My son writes books on Internet security and cyber war and, as you said, the money you get from the sale of the book is VERY small. I, for one, appreciate that you are still happy to share your creativity with us. Also, my daughter adopted a Wheaton/Beagle mix a couple of years ago (Roscoe) and it was great to see what a real Wheaton looks like...beautiful puppy:)
Carol

pens and needles said...

I love quilt books! There is no way a printed-from-the-internet pattern can compare to the inspiration I get from a quality book with glossy photos and heft in my hands. In fact, I bought a new quilt book last week. I'll gladly do without lattes and other non-necessities to help my favorite designers (like you!) keep doing their thing.

Anonymous said...

Kathleen: I have bought all your books and will be purchasing this one as well. I love books and have over 300 quilting and sewing books. I hate books on computers. I love to pick one off my shelf and look through the pages searching for my next project. I won't be stopping buying them anytime soon.

Christine Gibbons

Nancy said...

Some think the prices of books are too high; but if they compare the number of patterns per book to that one pattern they buy for $8 or $10 it isn't such a bad deal. Love your books!!!

marian said...

Kathy, what a lovely surprise for you! I love the story behind your darling pinwheel quilt, such sweet memories of your dear little Rigby.
I totally agree with you, nothing compares to a 'real' book. I love nothing better than to sit down with a mug of tea and peruse the pages of a new quilt book, reading the stories behind the designs and dreaming about that next quilt project.. it's a joyous feeling. I'm happy to say that this year I have added four new quilt books to my growing library of quilt books, and I've got my eye on another one or two 'must haves' for next year :))

Faunacoco said...

Love books, love the inspiration, love your blog post today, and I have bought a couple of your books! Even if the designs are the same, the color interpretations are not and I need that inspiration as a fairly new B quilter. Keep on trucking Kathleen, love your style! I will be buying more new books and one of them is going to be yours. I love that Patchwork place!!

kelley said...

I love quilt books...rug hooking books...folk art books...I buy them when they are special...I have all of your books and am anxiously awaiting the new one...I appreciate free patterns online but nothing compares to toting a book around with me to enjoy...

I do think some publishers just churn out too many average books...as with any purchase I look at value for my money...if I'm not learning something new or finding a special pattern or photographs it's not coming home with me...

I have purchased many Japanese quilting books for their beautiful photos and attention to detail...so much nicer than all our books on "faster, faster...cut and stitch as fast as you can"

Candee said...

Such a wonderful tribute to sweet Rigby. I can't wait for your book to come out so I can make it too, along with all the rest for our 2017 challenges. I am with the other ladies...also a bookaholic & fabric/kit/pattern aholic. Doing my part to support the industry!!

Michèle ANDRES said...

Bonjour chère Katleen. J'adore les livres de patch. J'achète beaucoup de livres français car j'habite en France: normal ? Parfois dans les salons je trouve les livres en anglais alors je craque car les frais sont tellement lourds pour les faire venir des Etats Unis. Cette année je vais à Houston. Quel bonheur. Et croyez moi, il y a de place prévue pour des livres, des livres et j'espère bien trouver le votre. Pour l'ajouter a vos autres livres. Merci pour votre travail que j'adore.

Pat said...

Thank you for your post anout this very serious problem. I believe we should support our designers in both fabric and books. I get very mad when I see stores post all of their patterns on videos for anyone to view.. i am sure that you know who I mean! You would think that they would wake up and see what is going on. I certainly will add your book to my huge collection as I own all of your previous books. My biggest problem is that our local shop closed and it was not for lack of customers, or lack of creative dedicated employees. It was from poor management with a good enough attitude. Again thanks for bringing this problem to the for front.

paulette said...

I LOVE quilting books...there is NOTHING like it...even if you never make the quilts inside, I still enjoy sitting and perusing! Nothing makes me happier than to buy a book that inspires me to go to the sewing machine and make it sing! Keep 'em coming!!
P

Sandy said...

I love quilt books. That catalog looks dangerous!

Kerry said...

I love books. I may not work on a pattern from them but they are all on shelves as a source of inspiration. They are timeless and I can paw over them time and time again. My husband once asked "how many quilt books do you need?" and when we went to a quilt show he was amazed at how many there were on display. He then said "ah, I didn't realise there were so many! I won't complain any more about your little collection". I'm winning him over gradually - now I just have to bat my eyelids for a longarm machine!

I agree with visiting quilt shops - use them or lose them - and if you have a really nice one you may get offered cuppas when it's quiet!

Val said...

I love to buy books for inspiration, but my local quilt shop is 2 hours away and heavily into the Modern Quilt movement and that is fine but the book selection reflects that. Ordering online is possible of course but shipping to Canada almost doubles the cost and that is a problem for me. I love your books Kathy, and maybe when we are traveling in the US I will find a shop that has a copy of your new book.

Chookyblue...... said...

I think there are so many new books out now as it is easier in some ways to publish a book......flooding of the market and you can only have so many. They have to have something great and new i want to make in it........not just rehashed old stuff.....
Also not near any quilting-book shops so postage to Australia is to expensive and also bad enough domestically in Australia......
I wish the quilting industry would slow down and a allow us time to enjoy new books and fabric ranges instead of constantly jamming a new one range down our throats before we have even had time to enjoy the last one.......
Goodluck with your new book......

Jennifer M said...

I agree, there is nothing like holding the real thing in my hands. So many beautiful ones and my collection is ever growing as many of ours are. I feel so lucky to be able to create and do some wonderful hobbies, books are part of that and for this I am grateful:)

GO STARS! said...

I don't mind buying quilt books if they have something new and different and not just retreads of previous quilts/books/designs. I've got lots of books and magazines from years back and many quilts are being remade in more modern colors. There is a flood of books, magazines, fabric lines, patterns, and notions. Its easy to be caught up in the hype and buy everything that catches your eye. But then you are overrun by stuff. I prefer to be choosy in my purchases as I have limited space and budget. I try to support my local quilt shops as I do feel they are important. Just my opinion.

Summer said...

I believe in supporting your passion too♥ Nice doggie♥

Sunshine said...

Nothing is better than that satisfaction of finding a good book with fresh designs. Over the years, I've taking pleasure in adding to my bookshelves and donating old books to the local library. Sometimes I find some free gems on their used book shelf, which is a real score.

Bobbie said...

The biggest reason I wouldn't purchase a book (online) is when there are no pictures of what's inside. I think that any publisher who doesn't include pictures of the projects is not utilizing their marketing tools correctly. So many times I've seen a book and the only thing they show is the front and back and there might as well be empty pages on the inside. I do love your books though and have three. Remembering Adelia is my favorite!!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails