Monday, March 18, 2013

Small Quilt Retreat

Some of us in the northern Illinois area are thinking of getting together for a casual small quilting retreat this spring. Actually I would call it more of an informal Sew-In type of thing. The event would be held at  Techny Towers in Northbrook, Illinois, just a hop, skip and jump from Chicago. This idea came up rather suddenly when I suggested that some of us who live in the Chicago area get together and have a sewing day. We're still in the planning stages (Well, Heather is doing all the planning) and announcing it now to see if any of you who live in the Chicago area might be interested in joining us. (Out of towners are certainly welcome too!)

The dates that are under consideration are Sat & Sunday May 18-19 or Sat & Sun June 8-9.  If you are interested in joining us on one of those dates let me know. It will not be a very structured retreat -  mostly time for sewing, relaxing and chatting. Getting away from it all if you will, sewing for 2 days without too many distractions. If you are in my Yahoo Small Quilt group, go to the database there and sign up with your preferences. If you're an out-of-towner and are interested, contact me for more details.
 
I am not scheduled to teach a class (Great! You can save money and not incur a class fee! I usually charge a fee for my classes.) but I promised that I would show quilters how to make easy Orange Peels for the Orange Peel Quilt from my book Remembering Adelia using starch and no-melt Mylar templates. I've taught this method a few times after my friend Shirley got me started doing applique this way and it's an easy way to get those nice points on the peels. So if you choose you can bring some fabric for the peels and background squares and I will bring the supplies to help you make some of those. Maybe you'll feel like making the whole quilt after that.

 


 
Participants have the option of staying for one day (Saturday) and going home if you live nearby or both days (Saturday and Sunday). The cost is dependent upon how many we get to sign up but roughly it should cost $90 for 2 days of sewing and 4 meals ($45 for one day, including 2 meals). Added to this is the cost of your room - $64 for a single room, $94 for a double (divided by 2 people) and $126 for a triple (divided by 3). You may come with an arranged roommate(s) or have a roommate assigned. All rooms have twin beds and a bathroom.
 
I think this is pretty reasonable. A few of us are already signed up and we're committed to spending the weekend making small quilts with abandon! Bring your machine or come and do some hand sewing with us. We all felt that it would be fun not to have a structured class or an assigned quilt so you are encouraged to bring whatever it is you're working on or choose a small quilt from one of my books, gather your fabric and I will help you get started on it. There will be a Small Quilt Show & Tell on Saturday and perhaps I will also bring a few of my quilts for a trunk show.
 
I organized a more structured retreat up in Wisconsin in 2011 and it was great fun. If this one turns out good and we get enough people we may hold another one like this in the Fall too.
 
Remember the slide show from the Wisconsin retreat??  This could be you, having fun with others who love to make small quilts . . . .

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow

 
           
           
 
              
That quilting weekend was almost perfect. Everyone seemed to have a good time and I was happy to see that many got a lot of quilting done. This one will be less rustic - there's a couple of nice outdoor malls across the street - but will have better food and no centipedes. Join us, why don't you?
 

5 comments:

Beth said...

Sounds like great fun!

Carin said...

Looks wonderful.

Anonymous said...

so jealous, maybe I could make it in the fall...hmmmm

Unknown said...

Sounds like lots of fun, wish I could join you.

Unknown said...

Hi Kathleen,
My name is Brooke Lutz and I am the Retreat Manager at Threads of Time in Danville, IL. I wanted to pass along our retreat information to you for possible future retreats for your group. Please email reservations@threadsoftimefab.com if interested.

Enjoy your retreat!

Sincerely,
Brooke Lutz

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails