Monday, March 11, 2013

March Rain


DEAR March, come in!
How glad I am!
I looked for you before.
Put down your hat—
You must have walked—       
How out of breath you are!
Dear March, how are you?
And the rest?
Did you leave Nature well?
Oh, March, come right upstairs with me,       
I have so much to tell!

                         -Emily Dickinson

 
See what I mean about March in Chicago?? Bleak and rainy. Don't know what Emily was talking about. I'm not glad. I'm trying to keep March out, not welcome it in. All that mud. Almost all of our beautiful snow from last week has melted and the mud and grit is starting to seep through the ice and water. Ugh. No dogs out in the back for awhile. I suppose I should be thrilled with the thought that it won't be long until spring gets here.
 
 
 
Couldn't we just skip March and go straight to April ??
 
 
I'm still working on getting your kits out but as I mentioned I ran out of fabric again and and more is on it's way. Patience.  I am not a shop so I don't have bolts and bolts of this fabric on hand. But don't worry, if you ordered a kit I will still get it out to you eventually. You weren't going to make it until NEXT Valentine's Day anyway, right?

 
I am enjoying seeing your little triangles quilts made with Ugly Fabrics. They are turning out so pretty! I knew they would. Keep going -  you still have a few weeks left to finish it up before we begin another quilt for April. 
 
I played around with some of my half-square triangles this morning and threw in a couple of pretty ones for good measure -
 
                               
 
 
 
I'm afraid some of these "uglies" are starting to grow on me.
 
 

Some pretties I bought recently:
 
 
 
 
I didn't realize it but I guess I must be thinking about making a blue and red quilt  : ).   Just as soon as I am not busy making up kits . . .
 

11 comments:

Robin said...

I loved the poem. I'm a big fan of Emily Dickinson and don't recall that one. Without March there would be no April. It's brown instead of pretty white here in Utah but the buds are swelling and you can almost feel the ground sigh with relief that the snowy season is over for another year. You're right about some of those uglies. They do kind of grow on a person.

Susannah said...

Whatever you make will be beautiful!!!! Looking forward to April, too.....and then ..MAY FLOWERS!!!!

Susannah

Kathleen Tracy said...

"Dear March" is from Dickinson's Nature Poems.

Anonymous said...

I would welcome the rain . All we get is tons and tons of snow. It is snowing as I write this...
Julia

antique quilter said...

on your ugly picture the one in the bottom left is one of my favorite fabrics!!!! guess whats ugly to one person is a treasure to another :)
ah red one can NEVER have enough red, love your new purchases...
you should see mine a few blues you would love!
Kathie

Pam in IL said...

Yep, my back yard looked pretty much the same as yours a few days ago. We had beautiful sunshine here this morning and at this moment it is snowing like we're in a blizzard and really dark. What's up with that?

Carol in Texas said...

thank you for this poem....it's charming. I must go looking for a volume of Emily Dickinson poetry. Carol in Texas

Susan said...

March is just beautiful here....yes, I'm in the southern hemisphere, in the south western corner of Australia, where is is just slowly turning the tide towards autumn. Lovely days, and then evenings where it's cool enough to pull the blankets and light quilts on.
Love all the fabrics you've shown, even the uglies, you can put them in my cupboard anytime!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the Orange Peel Mini Table Runner in Jo Morton's Blue Variety. Can't wait to make it. Will be at Retreat with Jo in Texas this weekend.

Barbara Cissne
Garland, Texas
barbaracissne@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Blue like the ocean! Just love the mini quilt and Jo fabric. My favorite blue glass canisters will look wonderful on this little quilt!
Anne Marie Westgate
Raynham, MA
p.westgate@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

A few of my favorite things..my royal blue teapot.. Grandma's blue glass shoes..Mom's old blue perfume bottle..Bobby Vinton's Blue Velvet..my friend's blue wine bottle collection..blue skies..blue ocean..my blue glass sock darner..my blue buttons..my blue threads..and of course my blue fabric..;o) Margie in FL

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails