Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What's October Without Leaves?

On the way home from the retreat last Sunday, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Bad move. It was Oktoberfest! and streets were blocked and traffic was backed up for what seemed like a mile. We grabbed a fast bite and got the heck out of the pandemonium but not before I took a pretty picture. As it was, we got home later than we planned.


Arriving home, I was pleasantly surprised to find that our front lawn was COVERED in leaves that had fallen from the tree in the front yard over the past two days. In the sea of green suburban lawns, ours was glittering, golden. I'm sure it drove our neighbors nuts since they usually have their leaves scooped up almost as soon they've fallen so the mess isn't too unseemly. While we were gone, the dogsitter (my son) had neglected to keep up with the Joneses. But I wasn't mad; I liked it.


I think we're the only people on the block who don't have lawn service. Yes, it's shocking, my husband actually cuts our grass himself. One, to save money (he's an accountant) and two - he says it's an opportunity for him to get outside and get some fresh air and exercise he might not otherwise find the time for now that he no longer coaches our daughter in soccer. Raking leaves in the fall  - another one of those old-fashioned traditions that seems to have fallen by the wayside in suburbia.


The little dog likes the leaves too!


My scraggly shrub roses are still blooming! For now, that is; they'll be turning brown in a bit.

The weather has been lovely and this season more than any other makes my senses come alive. In the morning, while I'm drinking my coffee, if I take time to listen I can hear the squirrels and chipmunks scurrying after each other, crunching through the potpourri. In the afternoon, as the children get off the school bus and walk home down the block, I can hear them shuffling their feet through my leaves. It's a great memory of my own childhood. Who doesn't love to skip through fallen leaves??


My husband has to work late a few nights this week so the leaves will stay until he can get around to raking them next Sunday. (Don't ask me to do it; I have allergies. Besides, I do the vacuuming.) That means I have a few more days to revel in the color and sounds until they're gone. What's that Robert Frost poem?

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.


I love that poem. Time passes, change is inevitable. I guess I'll try to enjoy the leaves while they're here.


11 comments:

Marla said...

I know we would be good friends if we lived by each other. I just finished reading your entire blog since you started and enjoyed it a lot all the time thinking, "This woman thinks like I do!" I recieved the "Praire Children and Their Quilts" yesterday and then promptly sat down and ordered "American Doll Quilts" from Amazon. Once that is received, I will have all your books. They are just beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathleen, So nostalgic. I love this post. Fondly, Maple Leaf.

Sarah said...

OMGosh - I can't imagine not having leaves on the ground - it's part of fall. There's no way to keep up with them once they start falling anyway so I aim for raking once a week. I am always behind the Joneses because it's just me, instead of families who seem to spend all their time outside when I'm rarely home in the evenings before o'dark thirty. Oh well! Happy Fall Y'all!

WoolenSails said...

I love the look of all the golden leaves on the ground.
I have gone on trips and run into events, this weekend we went hiking and it was cowboy fest, so the main trail was full of want to be cowboys who do not know how to ride, lol.

Debbie

Kathleen Tracy said...

Dear Maple Leaf, thank you. Your friend, Flowering Dogwood

antique quilter said...

I always love the leaves on the lawn!!!! this is my favorite time of the year... our leaves are just starting to change in the neighborhood and I am loving it. now I need the sunshine for a few weeks and be able to take walks and enjoy the colors....raining again today !
your dog must love running around amongst the leaves, chasing them perhaps?
Kathie

moosecraft said...

I love the autumn leaves too! The color and the aroma! I can relate to the suburbia thing where people have yard services...I take care of the lawn, leaves and most of the snow in my home... because it's my exercise and fresh air (sound familiar? lol)... most people (like myself) are locked in offices all day and don't get to relax with nature... yes, yard work is relaxing... I think it keeps people centered... in fact, I'll be shuffling through some leaves this morning! :-)

Colleen said...

There's nothing like the site of golden fall leaves all over the lawn. It reminds me of the big ole maple tree we had in the front yard growing up...raking them into a pile and jumping in feet first! No yard service here...hubby loves to do it...2x's a week. He cannot wait until more leaves fall so he actually has a bunch of raking to do...good for building the arm muscles. Me, why I watch from the window!

Stitching Lady said...

I enjoy your blog!!

Susie said...

I love the leaves when they fall especially if it has been frosty as well because they make a really good crunching sound. Unfortunately it has been wet here so they are soggy! I still scuff through the leaves if I can. I love the Fall. Susie x

Merilyn said...

I have to agree with you, I love the autumn leaves on the ground, love the colours and the sounds as you walk on them!! Glad you had a successful retreat Kathy, I really enjoyed the photos you put up on your last post. Blogger has been playing up lately and I have been unable to leave messages on some people's blogs, unfortunately yours was one of them, I just hope they have sorted things out and this comment makes it through!!!

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails