Friday, October 17, 2014

A Great Day for a Quilt Show


Going to a quilt show on an overcast, gloomy October day really does the trick if you need some perking up. The Prairie Star Quilt Guild of Wheaton, IL is having their show today (Fri) and tomorrow (Sat) at the DuPage County Fairgrounds.  It's too late to attend today but if you live in the Chicago area do yourself a favor and stop by tomorrow.  Not only are the quilts fantastic but there are wonderful VENDORS too. I brought extra cash along with my credit card in case I stayed awhile and needed to eat something but as it turned out I was frivolous and spent all my lunch money pretty early on (!) so I walked out of there hungry and penniless . . . . Yes,  I am a quilter and fabric always comes first. But no, I will not put a hot dog on my credit card . . . . It doesn't kill me to skip a meal now and then anyway, LOL.

There were so many beautiful quilts on display. I am always amazed at the level of creativity and skill when I attend shows like this. So many different styles of quilts and all done beautifully.

This quilt shows up at almost every show I attend and I'm always happy to see it - baskets from When the Cold Wind Blows by Barb Adams and Alma Allen (Trick or Treat quilt made by Marion Schlindwein)






Be Square by Jan Sharpless


Saltbox Sampler made by Carol Andermann


Mary Zenger combined wool and cotton beautifully in her Holiday Inn quilt and won first place!


Stars and Stripes (a Minnick & Simpson pattern) made by Elvira Illig
(Took this one for Sue B.)


Amish with a Twist made by Ann Kowalyszyn

One of my favorite vendor booths was Woolkeeper  - featuring lovely designs for wool applique by Kathy Wall.




I went to the show looking for some pretty wool to use in a few projects for wool applique and regular applique I'm in the process of designing. What a nice surprise to meet Kathy and discover that she's a fan and has made a few of my patterns in wool (Orange Peel above and and Civil War Baskets, below). Who knew they'd look great in wool too?? Thanks, Kathy!

\



It's exciting to see all the things quilters are doing with wool now and to see all the wonderful colors available. A Different Box of Crayons also had a great booth and I bought some incredibly beautiful hand-dyed wool from them too.



Yes, I sure am going to be having some fun with wool pretty soon . . . .

There was one antique quilt booth I had to stay away from - there were way too many toy irons and sewing machines I was drooling over.




I couldn't post all of the pictures I took of quilts so I'll add them to another post in a few days. Have a great weekend. You know what I'm going to be playing around with tomorrow . . . . (no, not a toy iron, sigh. I already have a green one just like it.)




8 comments:

sue bennett said...

Kathy thank you for taking that photo for me. I love the quilt and have made it. the Salt Box Sampler may get put on my to do list. Looks like you had a great day. Wish I was closer.

Martine said...

Thanks to Susan Price I was there : I met wonderfull quilters, The quilts and the vendors booths are great.
I am sorry I missed you! Martine ( Belgium)

Karen said...

I have that same little blue sewing machine. I love the old green one you have picture there too. You always take such a great pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

Cindy P said...

When I went to Rosemont, I had to use my debit card to get out of the parking garage. And I had to drive all the way back to Kansas with no cash.

Granny's Button Box said...

The quilts are amazing, such talent. Love the dinky sewing machines, as for the toy iron so sweet. Thank you for sharing. Regards Sharon

Juliann in WA said...

What a feast of quilts to start my morning! Thanks for all the pictures.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, looks like it was one not to miss. I find that I cannot keep my hands off of wool these days. Really like the vintage nine patch...and the little red iron.

Carmen y Prady said...

Cuando vamods a ferias, nos pasa como a ti, nos sorprende ver las maravillas que exponen.
Gracias por compartir estas maravillas con nosotras.
Un beso.

.

Related Posts with Thumbnails